Avicenna Tajik State Medcal University was founded in the year of 1939 with the name Abu Ali Ibn Sino University as School of Medical Personnel,
In the sixth year of functioning, this university were allocated leading disciplines like therapy, surgery, obstetrics and gynecology, During the years 1950-1959 the University has renamed as Avicenna Tajik State Medical Institute, but still recognized in different part of the world as (Tajik Abuali Ibn Sino State Medical University )
By the beginning of 1989 there were 51 doctors and 326 candidates of sciences working at the institute, and there were 70 faculties and 10 courses were functioning
In the year 1992 the Tajik State Medical Institute received the status of Tajik State Medical University after name of Avicenna.
Till 2009 the ATSMU was training the specialist on six years program in Medical faculty,
In the year 2010 ATSMU started the 5 years complete MBBS program (with internship) for foreign Medical students.
Avicenna Tajik State Medical University is the Largest university of Medical Sciences in Tajikistan, with
ATSMU offers courses in medical, paramedical & allied branches & ultra modern super specialty medical care to patients from the vicinity. It also encourages research activities, and has a 1200 bed super specialty. The hospital is equipped with all modern facilities & sophisticated medical equipments.
ATSMU IN GLOBAL GLANCE:
- WHO - ATSMU is listed in World Health Organisation and recognized globally as Tajikistan's only Government Medical college in Dushanbae worldwide.
- FAIMER - ATSMU is listed in Foundation for Advancement of International Medical Education and Research. The students studying at ATSMU can avail the benefits of student exchange program of USA or transfer themselves to any US medical college after evaluating their current credential at any authorized evaluator organisation like World Education Service
- IMED - The International Medical Education Directory is a free web-based resource for accurate and up to date information about International Medical Schools that are recognized by the appropriate government agency in the countries where they are located
- UNESCO - United Nation Educational, Scientific and Cultural Activities.
- DORA - Directory of Organizations that Recognize/Accredit Medical Schools
- IFME - Fellows become eligible to apply for financial award through International Fellowship in Medical Education to pursue a masters' degree in health professions education through the FAIMER Distance Learning Program.
- MCI - Medical Council of India [ http://www.mciindia.org/ActsandAmendments/TheThirdScheduleofIMCAct.aspx ]